Re: Underglazes or glazes

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 16:15:32 PST

I use Duncan Concepts glazes with my elementary students. We made tiles for
a permanent mural in our school. We used the glazes on unfired white
earthenware clay--then did one firing at cone 05. The glaze is shiny
without putting on a clear glaze. When I use the glazes on 2nd grade coil
pots, I always fire the pots first. Then we use the glazes, and I do coat
the inside of the pots with a clear glaze, just to make sure they are
totally sealed. Then I fire at 06. I've been very happy with the glazes. I
put them in small lidded containers. Though they do tend to dry out, they
are easily reconstituted by adding water--so, though they are expensive, I
feel I get my money's worth.

Mary H.