Re: Underglazes or glazes

---------

From: Numo Jaeger & Michael Miller (jaegmil_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 18:18:56 PST

Underglazes are good for some assignments for example, pieces that require
detailed painting using underglazes are a good choice. When students
design story tiles I have them use underglazes with a clear glaze on the
top. Young elementary school students get confused when you cover a
carefully painted underglaze design with a glaze. They fear that their
piece will be ruined but they are pleasantly surprised when they see the
results.

But If the overall goal in the assignment is to have an experience of
coating a piece with a glass surface then glaze is a good choice. Glazes
have a tendency to move a little in the firing process and produce a softer
edge appearance.

I have heard Mona Rossol, the industrial chemist suggest that very young
children be extremely careful using glazes or to not have them glaze at
all. Some of the colorants in glazes are highly toxic. She suggests that
the younger children at the elementary school level use watercolors on
their pieces. Probably not a bad idea since younger children even if warned
don't wash their hands carefully enough and still stick those fingers into
their mouths!
-Numo

You wrote:
>Recommended to me were Duncan Concepts underglazes and Mayco Stroke and
>Coat, both needing a clear coat of glaze on top of color.
>And also suggested was regular glaze that doesn't need a top coat of clear.
>Any comments?

---