Re: several, water color,helpful people and color theory( do da!!)

---------

Aartteachr_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 21 2004 - 19:42:43 PST

In a message dated 11/21/2004 9:51:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lindwood@webtv.net writes:

> I always tell them to make colored blacks and grays, as they are
> more interesting than straight black, but why NO black?. Hope this
> isn't a stupid question :-)

No, it is an honest question. I am happy to answer. Black is a "dead" color
unless you add some blue or purple to it. In fact, I do not allow black with
pastels to shade forms. I dole it out only as needed. Black makes things muddy,
it is a non-color. It can be used to tint colors.Even a midnight sky is not
black...add some blue to it and see the difference.This is just a personal
preference.

Marsha in Orlando.

---