Re: special topics in literature and art

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 21 2004 - 15:04:36 PST

Greetings Julie,

Oooo.... I do like the idea of puppets! I have a links
page for some help with puppets.

Your idea sounds good. Any kind of storypot will work.
Here is a lesson plan you can tweak. No need to
"re-invent the wheel" It would be good if the story
pots convey some kind of moral, too. Have your
students then write about the story the pots/figures
tell.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Linda-story.htm

Please send some student examples to add - along with
your adaptations. I would use draped slab as one of
the forming techniques. Leave it open for students to
decide what forming methods will work best for their
design.

In keeping with oral tradtions...what about story
teller figures of sorts? Grandmotherly figures with
smaller figures surrounding the story teller that tell
the story (an adaptation of the Pueblo story teller -
oral traditions).

I would love to hear more about this interdisciplinary
study. I just worked on a lesson for my husband today
that would be ideal for this class (literature and
art). Tony Hillerman's Thief of Time (art of the
Anasazi - pottery) - also ties in science
(archeaology)...and social studies (Navajo culture).
Here is the lesson page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/hillerman.htm
Last year I made some visuals for him with art of the
Anasazi and Navajo. Some of his students will be
researching art of the Anasazi and Navajo for their
projects.

Judy Decker

My