Re: paint mixing with acrylics

---------

From: LarrySeiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 04:51:53 PST

I am curious about one thing, Pam...and that is the cutting up of
Impressionist paintings. Where do you get, or recommend to find images of
such works to be cut up. Do you order a few prints, one to cut up...one for
kids to look at?

We had a blast this fall taking advantage of a dozen Guerrilla Box portable
easels and tripods, and Classic Art Oils we ordered from www.pochade.com
thru a grant, painting a weekend with students and one other art teacher
from a nearby district. Kids are excited to get out and try again, and I
promised we do one winter outing to paint, and a couple times next spring.
This is how I myself work as a painter, but its fun to follow up
Impressionist studies actually getting them out there to paint from life.
It was thru an after school grant program, called "21st Century"

The kids really got into it, and people walking thru the county park were
really encouraging to the young people.

One thing I find, and even from adults I teach workshops to is that people
tend to believe that the "look" of the painting was the aim of the painter.
Artists will see Impressionist paintings, and then go home to their studios
to try and be more loose or painterly.

for myself as a plein air painter...the sunlight, the moment that is elusive
with its moving shadows dictates a particular speed (with knot in stomach
provided) that things have to be captured and accounts for most of the look.

I have a forum of my own at Wetcanvas with my instructions, demos and so
forth and because of many artist's questions on my evolution from photo
realism to painterly realism I finally put a thread together. It discusses
use of the painter's knife in the first thread or two, but thereafter and
for the most part is about painterliness....the why? of it, the look and so
forth. Folks might find it of interest. Quite a bit of a read I suppose,
but a number of examples and steps to see. Here is that link-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2924732#post2924732

the first example landscape in it is acrylic...the latter in oils...

Larry Seiler
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---