Re: Question on Teaching Color Mixing:ginny

---------

From: Madeline Fersko (maddy74_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 18:10:33 PST

Thanks for the ideas. I really like this idea. I think its smart to give
beginning painters only the three primaries and white. By constricting them
to use only these three tones they will get to intensly scrutinize many
important aspects of color i.e. value, hue, intensity, temperature, opacity,
transparency, etc. As they are only using three colors they can stay
focused on these integral components of color mixing rather then get caught
up in trying a millon different colors. ALso...Im a strong believer that
the more parameters and structure..the more creative one can be...

Thanks again:)
madeline

<Ginny_Rockwood@fc.brattleboro.k12.vt.us>
>To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
>Subject: Re: Question on Teaching Color Mixing
>Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:03:55 -0400
>
>My eighth graders work with Sax tempera paints. We discuss the three
>characteristics of color: hue, value and intensity. They mix and paint
>color value studies: add white to make lighter and black to make darker.
>They mix and paint intensity studies: add the complement to make the
color
>duller until they reach gray (they sometimes need to add white to the
>mixture to see the gray which can be pretty dark.) Then they have to
match
>colors. I take those color strips from paint stores and cut them up into
>squares, and students have to match 3. We use this "formula":
determine
>the hue(s), the value (either light or dark), and the intensity (either
>bright or dull). Once students have made the determinations for the
chosen
>color square, they know which paint colors to squeeze out and mix. Then
>it's trial and error until they find the correct proportions. I do
>demonstrations. I keep a magenta handy for some colors that require a
cool
>red and the regular blue and ultra blue for the warm and cool blues.
Final
>projects differ depending on the class.
>
>Another "practice your color mixing" activity is to have
students trace
>one hand and then using only red, blue, yellow and white, have them mix
>their hand color. Best to start with white, then add some red and
yellow,
>then in minute amounts add blue bit by bit until you find the correct
>brown. You can add a multicultural link to this by talking about how
>everyone's skin color is made up with the same 3 hues, just in different
>proportions. This activity was featured in Tolerance magazine a while
>back, but I've been doing it for many years before that.
>
>Link to intensity studies:
>http://www.wickedstepmother.net/BAMS/Color%20Intensity/color%20intensity.htm
>Link to value studies:
>http://www.wickedstepmother.net/BAMS/Color%20Value/color%20value.htm