Re: paint mixing with acrylics:

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 15:56:24 PST

Half way down this web page:
        http://www.taospaint.com/Colorwheel.html
is a pic of the way I set up acrylics in the classroom
for my 7th and 8th graders. The arrangement of tubs of
colors was done partly to reinforce the color wheel.
It was also done to provide a wide variety of values
as well as a selection of hues. The inner circle is just
white added to the color next to it. Students would
dip the needed colors out using the appropriate tongue
depressor on to paper plates which we used for
disposable palettes. This method seemed to cut down
on wasted paint as well as encourage students to
widen their choice of colors. It made cleanup quick and
easy as well. The also did a lot of mixing
after taking colors to their tables. I was a very lazy
teacher. I had student helpers keep the little tubs
ready for the next class. At the end of the day we
put the tongue depressors in a bucket of water to
soak. We washed, dried and recycled them. Then we
moved the little tubs closer together and covered
them with a sheet of masonite so they would stay
moist overnight or over the weekend. I originally
got the tubs from Dick Blick with lids. We never
used the lids. I hope this description makes sense
and is of some help to another art teacher out there.
You really need to come up with little methods
that make sense and that work for you so you can stay
sane and have time to teach.
                        Happy Painting,
                                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--