Re: Question on Teaching Color Mixing

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 12:37:54 PST

I have them go through stock color mixing--12 colors, tints, shades,
complements. I never give them anything but primaries and black and
white. For advanced art I throw in burnt umber because I do an
assignment with self portraits done first in values with water and
umber--then washes of colors. Out of necessity they learn about color
and how to mix because they never get any other colors to play with.
Sid

>>> maddy74@hotmail.com 11/16/2004 8:58:44 PM >>>
One thing I've always found to be both complicated and challenging is
mixing
paint colors in oil or acrylic painting. As a professional artist as
well as
educator the ability to properly mix paints to create desired tones and

colors is highly important.

Im curious if anyone has any ideas or lessons they may have used before

offering insight into how to teach high school or middle school level
students about color mixing and color recipes etc for painting?

Thanks,
Madeline

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu