RE: Question on Teaching Color Mixing

---------

From: lia (johnsolia_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 06:40:22 PST

  One of my favorite color mixing/matching exercises is to have students
mix and match the color of their skin. I have done this both with college
age as well as elementary students and it is has been engaging and very
educational in more ways than one. It can be as discovery oriented as you
like. Generally I show younger students how to mix complements for various
intensities and white and black for values. Then I give them the challenge
to match a certain part of their skin.... either their arm or the top of
their hand. At the end of the given amount of time we look to see how
close everyone got. Students are generally amazed at what colors it takes
to get their skin color. It works best if you have lots of skin diversity
in your classroom. Typically my African-American students are amazed at
how little black is in their skin color and Caucasian students are equally
surprised at how far from white they are. Everyone is amazed at all the
colors it takes to get close. You can tie this to diversity...as well as
talk about the chemistry of creating make-up. lia

---