Re:Drawing Situation -Ideas to help

---------

From: Madeline Fersko (maddy74_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 20:51:24 PST

I have a few ideas for you:

I believe that regardless of the age group your students interest will be
revived if the subject matter they are drawing has a sense of meaning and
importance to them. Even though your students are only learning to draw, I
would emphasise and show your students examples of personal subject matter
in the work of different established artists. Then ask your students to
brainstorm lists of things, or ideas that are important to them. From their
lists help them to narrow down a asubject matter they would like to
concentrate their drawings on.

Then as they are working on the fundamentals-nuts and bolts of drawing, ask
them to bring in images and photographic references of their desired subject
matter. Hopefully working from a source that is sacred to them, will
greatly impact your students interest level.

Another idea to help ease your students into drawing-
Have you read books on the theories of 'drawing from the right side of your
brain?"
If not I would definitly pick up a copy of this book.
The concept of drawing from the right side of the brain is a very intersting
workable approach.

Essentially, the liberating concept behind this theory is that when a
beginning artist or someone with little or no drawing experience encounters
any kind of recognizable image, be it a person, house, apple, cloud, can of
glue etc.. this person will become stifled by the feat of trying to draw
"the complex image," rather then look at the image as a series of simple
abstract interconnected lines and shapes. Therefore if one takes this image
and flips it upside down then their brain no longer feels stifled and
paralyzed by the idea of drawing the image. Rather one thinks they are
merely drawing a series of simple lines. Then after drawing the lines if
one turns the paper around they will see that in actuality they created a
complex iimage.
-The author in the book speaks of the ability to look at complex images as
simple forms as a skill honed by the right side of our brains.

-Anyhow an exercise such as the one mentioned above may really help your
students to gain both confidence and interest in drawing.

Hope some of this info helps:)
Madeline

>From: Larry Prescott <larrcott1@yahoo.com>
>To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
>Subject: Re: Drawing situation
>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:09:41 -0800 (PST)
>
>Brenda, This is my 3rd year teaching 5th through 7th grade students. I
emphasize drawing skills through out my program. Check out my web site for
some ideas that have been successful with this age group. View the results
in the "Student Work" section and then read the sample lesson
plans. You are welcome to "steal" any of the ideas and make them
yours. Larry
> http://mms.d321.k12.id.us/webart/html/student%20work/main.html
>
>Bruthrobson@aol.com wrote:
>I am in a situation I am not sure how to handle.
>I teach several after school classes of 12. The parents pay for the art
lessons.
>Last year I tried Larry's lesson how to draw shells because I wanted
them to learn to draw and I thought his was great. It pretty much
frustrated some of them and they eventually dropped. They were 5th and 6th
graders.

>Now this year my classes are 1st-6th and some parents want me to teach
them to draw. About half the kids are interested.

>I don't know really where to begin. The kids like projects more and I
am afraid I may frustrate some of the kids and they may decide they just are
not artists and quit. But it looks like I may lose some if I keep with just
projects.

>Should I pick a common interest like horses and do grid drawing or
should I do a still life? It's really a difficult range of ages to please.

leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu