Re: ArtsEdNet - burnishing ceramics

---------

From: Numo Jaeger & Michael Miller (jaegmil_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 19:27:08 PST

The burnish on pots begins to burn off at cone 08. The higher you fire the
less the beautiful shiny looks disappears on the piece. You can actually
continue to burnish (very carefully) when the pot becomes bone dry and then
do a final polish with a shammy cloth when the piece is completely done. I
suggest using an oil on the bone dry piece to do a final polish. This will
give you the highest mirror finish polish but burnishing when bone dry is
probably not something one would teach to lower level students at the
elementary and high school level. When I have shown that age level
burnishing I just do the leather hard burnish.

-Numo

---