Re: ArtsEdNet - burnishing ceramics

---------

From: Jude & Frank (jgrochowski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 16:48:59 PST

 Leah,
    I've done a bit of ceramic burnishing and love doing it-I am a process
person and one of my co workers told me I could burnish a pot for 3 weeks
and just love doing it. That's kinda true. A smooth polished stone will
work, and I've also used a spoon (altho it will scratch the finish of the
spoon (who cares about that, when you're burnishing...). If the clay is
heavily grogged, the burnishing will perhaps be less effective. You want to
do it when the piece is cold-that's a good description to use with the
students, too, IMO.....
    The appearance/surface of the piece when you're done will be sorta
shiny. I have not done the type of finishing you describe in your firing
process, but when you are completely done with the firing, and you've
'cleaned' the surface of the piece, if the shine isn't as obvious as you'd
like, liquid floor polish will do a nice job of sealing and showing a shine
again.
Hope this helps,
Jude in Wisc with a kiln needing a new computer board (urggg$)

---