Re: ArtsEdNet - burnishing ceramics

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 14:29:16 PST

Leah,
        I've only done it the Native American way. Barbara Gonzalez
had us wipe a thin layer of slip on the pot and burnish the damp slip
till it shined. The pots were reddish brown before they were fired.
We fired them in a open fire surrounded by dry cow chips. Then the
fire was totally smothered with powered horse manure so no air
could reach the pots. They came out a glossy black. A beautiful
experience.
                        Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons