Re: Drawing situation

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 12:38:12 PST

Hi , I dont understand what you mean by classes of 12--do you mean you
take only 12 students or you do 12 each day? It sounds like some of the
parents are just using you for child care. Are you doing this on your
own time or is the school sponsoring it like an afterschool program? I
wouldn't even consider putting up with a child who isn't really into art
if it's on MY time. I would be very selective as to who I would take.
I also wouldn't take mixed grades--maybe have a primary night and an
upper grade night. Actually I think primary kids should be outside
playing after school! How much do you charge? Make sure you charge
more than child care so that would be eliminated. Sid

Bruthrobson@aol.com wrote:
I am in a situation I am not sure how to handle.
I teach several after school classes of 12. The parents pay for the
art lessons.
Last year I tried Larry's lesson how to draw shells because I wanted
them to learn to draw and I thought his was great. It pretty much
frustrated some of them and they eventually dropped. They were 5th and
6th graders.

Now this year my classes are 1st-6th and some parents want me to teach
them to draw. About half the kids are interested.

I don't know really where to begin. The kids like projects more and I
am afraid I may frustrate some of the kids and they may decide they just
are not artists and quit. But it looks like I may lose some if I keep
with just projects.

Should I pick a common interest like horses and do grid drawing or
should I do a still life? It's really a difficult range of ages to
please.

Thanks for anyone's advice.
Brenda ---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu