After School Private Lessons

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 08:09:50 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Since Brenda thanked me to the list - I thought I
should post my advice to the list (I answered her off
list).

My advice for a multi age/multi ability level group
was to try TAB CHOICE. Here was my advice to Brenda.

Hi Brenda,

This sounds like the ideal situation for you to try
TAB Choice (check the TAB Choice Yahoo site and
Knowledgeloom web site). Research shows that this
is a great way to handle multi age groups.

Set up three different learning centers. One for
drawing - one for printmaking - one for painting. Have
lots of resources available to inspire
(books, calendar prints etc -- and a still life of
interesting things to draw - but don't force the still
life). You could also use figure drawing
with these centers. Maybe have different students pose
(that are not in the class) - have some interesting
things to include - fun hats, sports
equipment --etc. You will be the guide and will work
with all centers. Include some art history references
with each center.

Try these centers for a while -- then add new ones -
like a sculpture center - and a collage center (to
replace the printmaking center). Keep
drawing (and maybe painting) as a focus center all
year. Do things with these after school kids that you
are not trying with the regular classes.
You just might discover some good ideas then to use
with lessons later.
-------------------------------------
Brenda, maybe do a simple survey with your students.
Find out their interests. Then set up centers
accordingly. Private lessons should definitely be
centered around student interests.

If portraits are an interest - have different
approaches to "portrait" - and consider different
aesthetic theories (they don't all have to be
realistic portraits). Younger students may want to try
the bottle people portraits - while older student work
on drawing skills.

If animal drawings are an interest (animals seem to
appeal to all kids)- consider the "Exquisite Horse"
idea - making imaginary animals.
It might be fun to actually do printmaking with this
idea (having the center of the body be at the same
place on the print). Then make a flip book of the
student prints but cutting one of their prints in half
for the book. Since it may take too long for the kids
to each make twelve prints - photocopy a good print
and have each kids make a book of those.

Consider patterns in nature for the painting station.
The lesson where kids paint the hand and arm to
camouflage with the painting is a real motivator. Tie
in Georgia O'Keeffe (zoom in) and Bev Doolittle
(camouflage) for art history/appreciation.

Judy Decker