Re: Drawing situation

---------

From: Larry Prescott (larrcott1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 07:09:41 PST

Brenda, This is my 3rd year teaching 5th through 7th grade students. I emphasize drawing skills through out my program. Check out my web site for some ideas that have been successful with this age group. View the results in the "Student Work" section and then read the sample lesson plans. You are welcome to "steal" any of the ideas and make them yours. Larry
 http://mms.d321.k12.id.us/webart/html/student%20work/main.html

Bruthrobson@aol.com wrote:
I am in a situation I am not sure how to handle.
I teach several after school classes of 12. The parents pay for the art lessons.
Last year I tried Larry's lesson how to draw shells because I wanted them to learn to draw and I thought his was great. It pretty much frustrated some of them and they eventually dropped. They were 5th and 6th graders.

Now this year my classes are 1st-6th and some parents want me to teach them to draw. About half the kids are interested.

I don't know really where to begin. The kids like projects more and I am afraid I may frustrate some of the kids and they may decide they just are not artists and quit. But it looks like I may lose some if I keep with just projects.

Should I pick a common interest like horses and do grid drawing or should I do a still life? It's really a difficult range of ages to please.

Thanks for anyone's advice.
Brenda ---

Larry Prescott
Art Teacher