ART: Sites added to Incredible Art Resources

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 08:02:06 PST

Dear List Members,

I have added a number of PBS recommended sites to
Incredible Art Resources.

On Architecture:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/architec.htm

Thais It: Architecture - 40 Centuries of Architecture
http://www.thais.it/architettura/default_uk.htm
Egyptian, Greek, Islamic, and Romanesque architecture
are presented in categories of locality, subject, and
time periods with a series of thumbnail images that
are clicked to reveal a full screen size photo.
Originally an Italian site, the English version also
links to 1200 Years of Sculpture.

On Artists/Art Styles
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/artists.htm

American Impressionism
http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/horo_over.htm
At the National Gallery of Art, tour a virtual exhibit
of American Impressionists with paintings by Childe
Hassam, Maurice Prendergast, John
Singer Sargent, John Twatchman and other artists.

American Portraits - A Brush with History
http://www.npg.si.edu/cexh/brush/index/
Portraits from this Smithsonian collection date from
the 1720s to the 1990s. The 76 paintings vary in style
and technique and form a narrative about American
portraiture in all its variety. Site includes lesson
plans.

On America's Cultural Diversity:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/diversit.htm

Haida, Children of Eagle and Raven
http://www.civilization.ca/aborig/haida/haindexe.html
The Canadian Museum of Civilization houses many Haida
artifacts. The style and quality is distinctive,
whether painted on cedar or carved of stone.
Tour this exhibit to learn more about the significance
and beauty of the totem poles, masks, copper shields,
baskets, and storage chests. The
mythology of the people is depicted in the form of
crests, usually animals such as Raven, the trickster.
Profiles of many artists are included, with
examples of their work.

On Museums:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/museum.htm

Rijksmuseum
http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/uk/index.htm
This site is the product of the Rijksmuseum in
Amsterdam, which houses the largest collection of art
and history in the Netherlands. The core of the
museum's collection are the paintings of the
seventeenth-century Dutch Republic, the Golden Age,
including works by Rembrandt, Vermeer, Frans
Hals, and Jan Steen. Take the virtual tour.

Added to IAD links page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/links/artstyles.html

Guardians of the North - The National Superhero in
Canadian Comic-Book Art
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/3/3/index-e.html
We have all heard of Superman, Spiderman, and Batman,
but have you heard of these distinctive Canadian
superheroes: Johnny Canuck, Canada Jack, and
the Northern Light? These superheroes have been
promoting Canadian heroism and patriotism since the
early 1900s, but became most prominent during
World War II, when Canadian national superheroes were
smashing the Axis powers. You'll find superhero
profiles and creator biographies.

These were all from an old post to Getty ArtsEdNet by
Sara S (April 2002). I finally got around to adding
all I didn't have already. I will check the PBS site
to see what ones they recommend now.

Regards,

Judy Decker

=====