Re: Drawing situation

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 08:00:19 PST

I would leave the grid drawing for older ages. What I do is collect a box of really fun objects for kids to draw...plastic pumpkins and gourds (in the fall), toys, broken musical instruments, etc..Have the kids pick out a few objects and have them arrange the objects. Turn off the lights and set up a spotlight. Show them how the light hits the object, and the shadow falls on the table. They do enjoy drawing the objects more when they have a choice. Also, you can have a kid pose for the other students to draw. Find a variety of fun hats, scarves, dress up clothes and dress the kid up. Kids love to paint.. they can first draw the person, and then add color.

Bruthrobson@aol.com wrote:
I am in a situation I am not sure how to handle.
I teach several after school classes of 12. The parents pay for the art lessons.
Last year I tried Larry's lesson how to draw shells because I wanted them to learn to draw and I thought his was great. It pretty much frustrated some of them and they eventually dropped. They were 5th and 6th graders.

Now this year my classes are 1st-6th and some parents want me to teach them to draw. About half the kids are interested.

I don't know really where to begin. The kids like projects more and I am afraid I may frustrate some of the kids and they may decide they just are not artists and quit. But it looks like I may lose some if I keep with just projects.

Should I pick a common interest like horses and do grid drawing or should I do a still life? It's really a difficult range of ages to please.

Thanks for anyone's advice.
Brenda ---