Shrine - meets Artist Research

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 07:39:09 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

My Heroes Triptych lesson could be adapted for an
artist research lesson and so could my Heroes shadow
box. Both of those lessons HAVE been used by high
school students. The student writing is included on
the project. Biographies are collages on the back.

The shadow boxes have writing collaged around the
sides.

Triptychs (Hero "shrine"):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/triptych.htm
Shadow Box (Hero "shrine"):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/8Herobox.htm
Sorry the photos are poor. The relief elements don't
show up very well. The last year I did the shadow box,
students added a cover with fake daguerreotype
(example at bottom of lesson). I planned to try this
lesson as a retablos the next year - adding a peak to
front of box and two doors (see retablos links on
Triptych lesson). The shadow boxes are corrugated
cardboard. The triptychs were masonite.

My lessons were done interdisciplinary with social
studies. The students had to select someone their
social studies teachers would approve. The first year
I did the triptych lesson, they were encouraged to do
an explorer (to meet Ohio Proficiency goal for social
studies). I had all sorts of extra stuff for the
explorers - but they could choose anyone. They were
also encouraged to do a Renaissance person the first
year (to meet social studies proficiency).

Regards,

Judy Decker

=====
Incredible Art Department