Re: artist research project for clay/ assessing assignments

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 04:49:06 PST

>Marvin--
>I like the idea of the "assessing the assignment." Did you ask students to
>reply after each, or was this data informally gathered?At 10:24 AM 11/8/04
>-0500, you wrote: . .
> In my assessment of the assignment I found that the students who objected
>to the assignment were those who were taking the clay class primarily to
>become skilled potters (product centered students).
>Maggie Tucker
>arttucker@earthlink.net

In my opinion, student perception of assignments is an essential
motivational factor. I can generally get an intuitive feeling for
this, but with assessment, we may be better at tweaking the
assignment and do a better job of selling it. Students feel more
empowered if they are asked to help design their own educations.

For this assignment I assessed with private discussions with the
students at the end of term. I had about 25 students in these
classes. It could also be done with paper. This is a form that
could be used (or as an interview guide).

Assignment Assessment
What are your major studies/interests in school?
What are the main reasons you took this class?
List one or more of the most important things you learned about art
and/or about yourself by doing this assignment.
Compare this assignment with other assignments in this class and
other art classes. Rank the value of this assignment (a 5 being best
and 1 being worst).
Say what you liked most and least about this assignment.

Marvin
http://www.bartelart.com

>---

---