Re: artist research project

---------

From: Kara LiCausi (klicausi_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 05:04:40 PST

Mike,
   We always seem to be doing similar projects around the same time! I am in the midst of doing a research "book" with my 7th graders. I have them pick an artist off of a list and then they get a checklist of information that they need to find on the internet. I give them a starting place, but then they really have to go on a "treasure hunt" and find and format all of the appropriate info. They will be taking the info and making a 10 page accordian fold book in my class. I did this last year with my 6th graders, but we made posters instead. I have a lesson plan and worksheets if you would like to see it, but basically I have them find biographical info such as birth date and place, family info, education, medium, style of art, definition about the style of art a quote by or about the artist, personal opinion/feedback about the work, a photo or portrait of the artist and examples of the artists work.

I'm not sure if you are loking to write more of a "research" paper, but I have found that the kids like this format because it doesn't feel like they are forced to write another paper.

Contact me if you aould like the lesson plan.

Kara

--
Kara LiCausi
Northport Middle School