Re: Quiet Sign for the ART Room

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 13:08:06 PST

Reading this reminds me of the first time I used this in my middle school
classroom. I had written the word on the board in large capital letters,
but did not say anything to the students about what or why I was doing it.

The first time the class got too loud, I walked to the board without saying
a word, took the piece of chalk...tapped on the board a couple of times (to
get their attention), then erased one letter, put the chalk down and walked
away from the board. They got very quiet when I tapped and remained so even
after I walked off.

I would tap on the board each time I went to erase a letter. I never did
end up erasing all of the letters in a class period, but what I was
doing...seemed to be working.

Well...one day, a student raised her hand and asked me..."Mrs. Roberts, what
does all of that on the board mean?" and I had a good laugh...they were
getting quiet and did not even realize that it would mean "no talking" for a
period of time.

Another thing I realized while teaching middle school...that sometimes
whispering or talking very low would get them quiet...because they thought
they might be missing something.

Sometimes, crazy things work with middle school kids.
Carolyn

> Just in time I started reading the quiet sign mails and last Friday I went
> to school with my letters and instituted the idea. I gave my 6th, 7th and
> 8th graders a written explanation of what the new policy is and why. I
> explained the policy and how it will work.

---