Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Quiet Sign for the ART Room

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 13:08:06 PST

Reading this reminds me of the first time I used this in my middle school
classroom. I had written the word on the board in large capital letters,
but did not say anything to the students about what or why I was doing it.

The first time the class got too loud, I walked to the board without saying
a word, took the piece of chalk...tapped on the board a couple of times (to
get their attention), then erased one letter, put the chalk down and walked
away from the board. They got very quiet when I tapped and remained so even
after I walked off.

I would tap on the board each time I went to erase a letter. I never did
end up erasing all of the letters in a class period, but what I was
doing...seemed to be working. day, a student raised her hand and asked me..."Mrs. Roberts, what
does all of that on the board mean?" and I had a good laugh...they were
getting quiet and did not even realize that it would mean "no talking" for a
period of time.

Another thing I realized while teaching middle school...that sometimes
whispering or talking very low would get them quiet...because they thought
they might be missing something.

Sometimes, crazy things work with middle school kids.