RE: Quiet Sign for the ART Room

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 09:08:43 PST

One thing I think is important to remember is that 'no
noise' isn't an end in itself. You have to explain to kids
why intense conversations interfere with concentrating on
artmaking, and they do understand if you are careful not to
link silence with punishment.

My benchmark is that they can talk so long as it doesn't
interfere with the progress or quality of their art. While
I'm going around the room monitoring individuals, I also
keep an eye on the whole class. If I see a conversation
that's gotten so intense that the artmaking has stopped
(hands gesticulating, out of contact with the paper is one
sure fire sign), I call a 'right-brain' exercise, 5 or 10
minutes of silent work.

I put on some quiet rhythm music and watch for a feeling
that they have 'gotten in the zone'. I bring them out of
the total silence gradually, first only necessary talk
that's related to the assignment, etc, In a well drilled
class you can actually control this with your own voice. If
they get all keyed up again I put them back in silent mode
and we do it again.

NB--My artroom is a parti wall away from a math teacher who
doesn't appreciate it if we get too noisy so I'm regularly
doing silent exercises this year. It's helped ME a lot too--
quieter classes are much less stressful.

Linda Papanicolaou