Re: Quiet Activity for the ART Room (Middle School)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 09:06:06 PST

Thanks Marvin,

I am one who never had to erase the T...We never lost
hands on art.

Here is one activity for middle school kids that
insures quiet - Upside down drawing. I always began my
7th and 8th grade trimesters with upside down drawing
as a skills assessment tool. We also did some blind
contour drawing as skills assessment. I do remember
that those were VERY quiet days (not a sound - only
the music playing). I will add these suggestions to
the QUIET ART page. I don't want kids to view these
activites as punishment either, though.

I would have a packet ready to go for each table. One
that I used frequently was a group of contour figure
studies by master artists.

I did have text books - but did not use them as
punishment activities. We did use them for reading for
content ( a directive of our administrator). Reading
days were planned - a laminated sign "Textbooks" was
put on the chalkboard with assigned pages so students
knew as soon as they entered that we were using the
books that day and they would get started when they
arrived. Questions to answer were also assigned.

Regards,

Judy Decker