Re: Quiet Sign for the ART Room

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 08:44:38 PST

I have been wondering about the best alternative quiet activity when
it has been too noisy and the art assignment work has to be put away.
I would hate to see them think of reading or art history as some sort
of negative punitive thing to do.

I find that students are very quiet while they take a test. What if
we had some creative thinking tests ready to use whenever things got
so bad that all the letters disappeared from the noise sign.

Are their other things to do that quiets your class? I have noticed
that blind contour drawing is one of the most quiet activities
because it requires such intense concentration if it is slowly and
deliberately. Has anybody tried to this as an alternative to the
regular assignment when it gets too noisy?

Would reading and art history work as a rewards (extra credit) for
those who finish early?

Marvin

This web site give ideas for test making in art
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/arted/testing/drawtest.html
This web page gives hints on contour drawing
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/easydraw.html

---