RE: NAEA Conevntion in Boston

---------

From: lia (johnsolia_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 17:38:29 PST

Leslie...what a wonderful thing to ask.

I find the convention folks usually provide things like a list local
restaurants that are good or reasonable or both....things like that. They
usually do local art sites too. Sometimes I really just want to get away
from the conference for a few hours to a less touristy place...or one not
necessarily art related that we might not hear about. I would really love
to know what things people in Boston treasure about their town and where
they go....and maybe the public transportation route of getting there from
the conference. This could be a park, or a store, or a restaurant or just
a place where one can escape to when you need to get away. I also
sometimes just want (and need) a really good walk....to get out of the
hubbub of the conference. One conference I remember someone had a listing
of public sculptures to see in the area...and I got both my walk and a
specific destination. I think that was Chicago....I was wishing they had
marked the coffee shops along the route...as it was cold that day. I did
end up finding a very cool diner....and did just fine. Sometimes I like
exploring neighborhoods on foot that are unique in some way. That can be
wonderful. I also love going to a non-mainstream speciality store that is
unique to the city. Stores that are local treasures. Among my favorites
are thrift stores, bookstores, music shops, unique gifts, art stores,
coffee stores, etc.....and well I like interesting grocery stores...but
that may not be a hit. Since it is Boston...interesting pubs would also be
great to know about. Information about public transportation is really
helpful.

The other thing I always wish for...since I often don't stay at the
conference hotel....is a place to leave some things when I go off to check
out other things. I realize this is probably impossible...since it would
probably require a person and staffing.... but it would be on a wish list.

Again...thanks for asking.... We appreciate it. I know how much work
conferences can be. yours........lia

---