Re: Quiet Sign for the ART Room

---------

From: Heather Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 17:03:29 PST

When I used it, I found myself praying it wouldn't have to be erased-
then there was NO ART. Luckily- it usually wasn't and it was a good
warning-
But when it was, I would have to do another activity- If they really
were misbehaving badly, we wrote essays about behavior- what had
happened, how to behave, etc. Sometimes however, I would catch myself
threatening "book work" and vocabulary- like that is punishment, which
they see as punishment- but I really don't want to use that way.
We have to read the book, and do vocabulary, and write, not only
because it is expected in all our classes due to testing fright, but
also because our kids skills are dreadfully low, many are ELs and even
the fluent english are way below grade level. They need it- and they
need to see the positive sides of it- new ideas- new knowledge, new
understanding. I really don't want academic work associated with
punishment and creative art work associated with "fun time". Not that
artwork isn't fun- but I want them to think of both parts of class as
connected and worthwhile work.

That said- I have been trying to deal with discipline- minor discipline
-loud talking, wasting time, etc. individually- but I have some very
rambunctious, loud 7th and 8th grade classes this year, and I am have
been thinking about using the Art letters again- used them with 6th
graders before- ....

I'll be interested in what transpires here-
Heather
  Nov 6, 2004, at 4:50 PM, Geoffrey McClain wrote:

> Linda,
> Could you please tell me again what happens when you erase the last
> letter from ART?
> Thanks --- Sky in NJ
>

> ---
> leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu