Re: participation rubric - peer interaction

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 09:48:36 PST

In art classrooms, I believe we have a unique opportunity to foster
mutual helpfulness among students. Our participation rubric can
include ways to foster good peer teaching. Our rubric can be
proactive to define and encourage interaction between students. We
can foster not only respect, but we can define healthy helpfulness
and responsible citizenship.

Below is my first attempt at a list. It is a possible set of rubric
statements to foster peer teaching. As you see, in an art class I
feel we need to give more credit (+) for students (and teachers) who
encourage independent thinking and less (-) for students who interact
in ways that teach dependency and discouragement.

++++ Asks good open questions to encourage thinking.
+++ Is encouraging and positive to others
++ Listens and contributes in a group
+ Tries to be helpful to others
+ Uses humor in positive ways
Ignores others who need help
- Makes suggestions to others
- - Does the work for others
- - - Is critical of others - specify ___________
- - - Uses hurtful humor - specify ____________
- - - - Annoys others - specify _____________

Marvin Bartel
http://www.bartelart.com
When our students become voters, will they encourage candidates who can think?

---