What does YOUR Dream Art Classroom look like?

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 04:39:30 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Kathy Douglas posted a gem of a quote from Jaune
Quick-To-See Smith to TAB list (reposted from her
April 2004 Blog). What is your dream for an art
classroom? Doesn't this one sould a lot like TAB
Choice? (From Jaune's keynote address to NAEA 1995)

A DREAM FROM A PROMINENT WOMAN ARTIST:

"Now I am going to describe my dream for an art
classroom. Please envision this room with me. There
would be clay on a large table with rolling pins and
other tools. In that corner I see wood scraps with
hammer and nails, glue guns and junk materials that
companies throw away. Against that wall, there would
be tempera paint with house paint brushes and
newsprint spread across the wall for group mural
painting. (Rolls of newsprint are free from any
newspaper office.) Perhaps large tables for
individual painting of various sizes. And then in this
corner, I see crayons, pencils, chalk, paper,
string and glue, plus a computer with McDraw or Adobe
Illustrator. These children are allowed to choose how
they want to interpret their ideas.

I hear music in the background. Israeli music on this
day. Native American music another day. Opera will be
played next week. They don't hear this kind of music
in band class. Music is also part of the arts and
studies have shown that Beethoven encourages creative
thinking.

In this dream, I can see that art projects would
include information on history, science, geography,
and other cultures. We all learn new information by
connecting or attaching it to the familiar. Therefore,
these projects will be brought back to the
personal so that each child can identify with them."

Jaune Quick-To-See Smith, NAEA Keynote Address,
Houston, 1995
------------------------------------
I particularly like the last paragraph, too....making
connections. Art can do it all....teach/reinforce all
core subjects.

I know a lot of you are not ready to go all choice.It
takes a lot of organization to do that....If you are
interested in hearing more about Choice....Sign up to
TAB Choice Yahoo list - and check Knowledge Loom web
site.
http://knowledgeloom.org/ (Knowledge Loom site was
down last I checked)

Regards,