Re: Need Help with Fresco

---------

Nayo1945_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 20:09:05 PST

In a message dated 11/1/04 1:01:26 AM, artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:

> Need Help with Fresco

After my husband and I remodeled our lath and plaster house, I learned alot
about drywall mud. I took a 5 gallon bucket to school with sheets of luan (a
thin veneer for doors) with some spreaders. The high school art classes
spread thin layers of the "mud" (joint compound) to the luan. Then they texturized
and faux painted it, snapped out a chalk line grid and drew then painted
their own Egyptian figures. They updated the figures to do what the kids would
do (work on computers, go dancing, play with model planes, ride skateboards)
They painted their murals with poster paint and gilded selected areas. The
joint compound never wore off. I also tried this with casien paint on my
bathroom wall (directly on the joint compound), then sealed it. For three-d, I've
had success with carving foam and applying joint compound to it (punch some
holes into it so the compound will stick). For larger pieces, cover the board with
chicken wire which acts to hold the plaster. But don't use joint compound
for that, use a stronger material that you add water to, "Fixall". Then apply
your joint compound to that for a pourous surface for your paint. Joint
compound is not water tight. It's for indoor use only.
I saw some real frescos in Florence this summer. The salts in the paint
rise to the surface and create a crystaline glitter over the surface of the work.
Quite beautiful! I tried to "recreate" this with sprinkling glitter onto
the damp paint. Finally I sprayed it lightly with glue then sprinkled on the
glitter. I thought the end result when combined with a surface painted with a
double loaded brush to be similar to faience.
Peri

---