Re: China--Terracotta army

---------

From: Dorothy Kane (creativemetals_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 05:34:52 PST

It is near Xi'an - China's ancient capital. Everyone who speaks English
will know it as the Terra Cotta Warriors.
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/shaanxi/xian/terra_cotta_army/

There are definately tours, as it is one of the main tourist attractions,
and is also very accessible. I'm remembering about 3 hours, by the time we
traveled, looked, and shopped the peasant market outside. The ancient city
wall is also interesting, and if he is into archeological finds, Banpo
Village is a must- 5,000 year old find from the then-matriarchal society.
Much smaller that the awesome Terra Cotta site. Tell him to break in some
good walking shoes. Alot of China is walking and climbing, often over
ancient walkways.

I went on a Fulbright-Hays group award, and therefore had the privilege of
making no arrangements, so I'm not too much help. Our agency was CIT tours,
and they were always professional and informative. Whoever they are booking
through can help them. Any hotel should also be able to arrange this. There
were obvious groups entering, but individuals as well.

Tell him to enjoy every minute. I'm jealous.

Dorothyon

11/29/03 9:06 PM, Ann Heineman at aiheineman@prodigy.net wrote:

> Thank you for the quick response, Dorothy!
> What I think I need to know for now is:
> the official name for the site, so I can look up info on the web
> its location--near what city--how to get there? time involvement?
> are there tours available? do they need to be reserved in advance?
>
> What were your impressions of this site, Dorothy?

---