Re: TESTING - Elements and Principles of Design

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 07:10:11 PST

Jacqueline and all.....

The text book I used doesn't have Tertiary -- but I
think I told my kiddles that word, too....The test are
easy on purpose. I wanted to make the taking of the
test and the grading of the test as easy as possible.
I had fun with my kids.... I told them to go and ask
the smartest person in our building what complementary
colors are...and see if he/she knew it...Someone would
always have fun with me and say well..."The smartest
person in the building would have to be you" (me). I
would use the tech guy as an example....Every one
(kids) thought he was really smart - He couldn't tell
me what the primary colors were (I even chuckled with
him that I used him as an example -- He didn't think I
was all that smart anyways - we did have a mutual
respect for each other).

I told my kiddles what was most important in art was
knowing what you like and what you don't like because
they would be surrounding themselves with art their
whole lives. They could always look up definitions any
time they needed them -- and they knew where to find
them. You ALL need to decide what really matters in
the scheme of things. Know what you like. Give them
enough so they can make that decision.

Testing doesn't have to "hurt".

Judith

P.S. LOL at me - I had to look up complementary to
make sure I spelled it right. I used ArtLex. I hope
ArtLex stays online for a very long time. I "met" the
creator of the site via email this past week. He has a
lesson plan on Incredible Art Department. If you use
ArtLex - maybe drop him a line sometime and thank him
for all he has done for us (smile). I'll be updating
his lesson soon - and will post.

--- Jacqueline Smith <jsmith@koyote.com> wrote:
> I thought the tests were easy, but I have a strong
> color theory and
> design background so I teach that quite
> comprehesively. I'm going to
> try the tests on my students. The only problem I
> foresee is that I call
> the third group of colors "tertiary" while the tests
> refer to them
> as "intermediate" I prefer the word tertiary
> because it means third,
> which is perfect after primary and secondary (first
> and second)

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department