Re: using performance assessment

---------

From: Karen Chilman (ChilArt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 19:06:12 PST

I lead my students in creating the rubrics for some assignments in my middle school class.
For instance, after watching a video over O'Keeffe, writing a criticism paper over her work and recreating one of her works, students are asked to help me create a rubric for their assignment which is to create their own work in the "style" of O'Keeffe.
They most always come up with four or five categories that must be included:
Space,Color, Content, Texture, sometimes effort (they want to throw that in...)
They usually go with a 3, 2,1 scale....for example for a 3 one must fill in ALL the space of the paper etc.
Kids do a great job writing rubrics...sometimes they are too hard on themselves, but as the teacher you lead them to the direction you want them to go.