Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Japanese Painting - idea for primary

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 15:14:37 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Here is a no fail idea one of my former coworkers did
(I think hers was second grade). Kris's idea below.

Students did a chalk stencil mountain/hills background
using just grays on white paper (Aerial perspective).
I think all of you know how to do a torn paper stencil
background. You can erase a small circle in the sky
for a moon if you wish (or block out a small circle
with a piece of paper - I have done suns/moons both

In the foreground, they did a cherry tree. They
dropped some India ink down towards the bottom of the
page - then blew the ink with a straw to create the
branches (very loose trees - spindly branches - get
the idea?). Once the ink was dry - they added little
red cherries with tempera paint and a tiny brush. Work
through a quicky sample yourself to see if my
explanation makes sense. If anyone does this - I want
the lesson on IAD (I will credit my coworker with the
idea - with her permission of course). I'll provide
the links to Japanese art.

Thankful today for all these lists do to bring this
world closer small step towards world
peace (smile).

--- Eric & Kris Holsen <> wrote:

> We gave them grey paper (bogus paper?) and a yellow
> circle (sun) - maybe
> they traced and cut their own but I'm not sure.
> Then I talked to them about different brush strokes
> - thick & thin,
> directional, etc. - I even made a chart/checklist of
> everything to try. I
> also talked about how Japanese artists concentrate
> on their work and don't
> talk, because they are trying to connect with their
> subject. I played
> Japanese koto music and they painted (in black only)
> a collection of dried
> grasses and flowers I had put in vases on their
> tables. I got the grasses
> in the ditch and field behind my house - just dried
> weeds and such from a
> vacant lot.

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department