Re: TESTING! Elements and Principles of Design (I took them)

---------

From: Jacqueline Smith (jsmith_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 07:29:05 PST

I thought the tests were easy, but I have a strong color theory and
design background so I teach that quite comprehesively. I'm going to
try the tests on my students. The only problem I foresee is that I call
the third group of colors "tertiary" while the tests refer to them
as "intermediate" I prefer the word tertiary because it means third,
which is perfect after primary and secondary (first and second) I think
intermediate sounds to the kids like some not-quite-a-color, but they
haven't said that.
I think on the test that refers to artworks it might be better to have
the student identify HOW the element or principle is used, since most
are used in every artwork to different degrees. Like saying which
element is used for making the brightly colored areas on a Mondrian-
shape (a little simplistic, but you get the idea)
Also, I have a hard time in my classes with testing non-readers (or low-
level). I have more special-ed than regular ed and so many just can't
read. I try to make the question wording simple and easy, but figuring
the solution more challenging. I have figured out that the non-readers
can think, but they have to rely on information they have HEARD in
class a lot to answer ever the simplist of question. It does make the
testing a real challenge. I do art history kind of test where they have
to identify artworks, the time period, the artists, and what things
make a particular style and how to tell one from the next without
regard to the subject matter specifically. My modified test is so easy
you can take it without even looking at the artworks- I make my own
children take it. I haven't found much of a compromise. I've been
thinking about a comparison thing...like which artwork best illustates
sucessful use of symmetrical (formal) balance? and so on.

---