Cathy's whistle success story

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 04:27:52 PST

Dear Art Educators,

This was a post I made during Getty down time....

Whistel making was a hot topic this fall on Getty
list. Hopefully I will have some images to share soon.

Cathy in Hawaii used Justin Kramer's pdf file and it
worked!
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/whistle.pdf
That should be the URL.

From Cathy:
>I want to send a very grateful and warm MAHALO to
everyone on the list that gave me tips, ideas, web
links and handouts for my clay whistles. The follow
up news to all of this is that out of my 12 students
in my 6th Grade Art class, only two whistles did not
work. These two students didn't care about making a
whistle work so much as making cute little creatures
out of pinch pot chambers. The challenge I gave my
students was: any student who could make a working
whistle would get an A+ anything less than a sound
would be graded according to class standards for a
project. I must say I was so proud of each and
everyone of my students. Each student diligently
worked on their chamber then with great time and
effort sat there piercing, bending, shaping, and
blowing on their clay until one by one they heard a
sound. Some of the sounds were faint high pitches
others were low bottle sounds but the "I did it!"
looks on their faces were so priceless. My son
and one another student who had gotten their whistles
to work first were dubbed the "whistle masters" and
worked the room helping other students. It was great!
 The Vice Principal walked into the class and all my
students lined up and whistled for her... she left
very impressed. Oh, and the designs of the whistles
are so cute. The students had such a great time that
with the left over clay they had a contest on who
could make the smallest working whistle. One student
did it and turned his into a mouse... so cute. If I
remember to bring my digital camera to class next week
I'll take a picture of the whistles before they go to
their first firing. I'm so proud of my 6th graders and
I thank all of you because I couldn't have done this
without all your support and advice.

For those who want to know the secret to making a
successful whistle... it is all trial and error. Use
Justin's handout, it is the best pictorial example and
instructions on making a working clay whistle. What
we also found was that if you blew on the opening for
the mouthpiece before attaching the clay and it made a
sound then when you did attach the clay mouthpiece
section the whistle would work. But you had to take
care not to blow too many times which moistened the
whistle's chamber and made the sound dull. Sometimes
if the students got too excited about hearing a tone
they would keep blowing and blowing then the chamber
would collapse and mushy wet clay would ooze out or
made it difficult to attach the clay for the
mouthpiece. So they would have to start again.

>Mahalo,
>Cathy
>Honolulu, HI

Folks - I like Cathy's approach -- so I just had to
shout about it. I had this still in my drafts folder
so decided to send today....I'm just cleaning up some
old drafts....I don't have to do any cooking today
--yeah!

Cathy, if you see this - DO send me some images NEXT
week (to RR address Jdecker@woh.rr.com). I should have
my machine back by then. My Web mailboxes are too full
right now for more images.

A VERY Thankful Thanksgiving - gobble - gobble.

Judy

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department