Marbles and scrap glass as glaze

---------

From: Jacqueline Smith (jsmith_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 18:50:52 PST

Okay, here's what I've been doing.
Knowing that clay shrinks as it dries and fires, I have been making
coils and putting the marbles and glass between the coils. This holds
it in place and depending on the glass will either make a lumpy glass
peephole or a hole with glass running out of it. This is at cone 04
bisque. I tried a penny and some other glass at a lower temp tuesday,
but I won't get to see it until Monday :(
Because I'm firing the glass and bisquing at the same time, I'm
thinking about using red stoneware instead of the white (I usually use
a white stoneware with grog) so it won't need further adornment. I put
candles inside of my first attempts.
Don't use that thin glass for stained glass windows, green or brown
bottle glass. They run when fired between 06 and 04. They do fine at
017, but who the heck fires that low?
The best colors I found are pink and purple found glass (old stuff from
garbage piles) and coke and canning jars (light blue-green). some white
works and some is too thin, but you can't tell which is which from
looking. Use LOTS of kiln wash for overflows. I have little "cookies"
covered with kiln wash for these things
happy experimenting!

---