TESTING! Elements and Principles of Design

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 18:17:37 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Scroll down if all you want are the links to the
tests....
Ruth Wilson got me thinking that Incredible Art
Department SHOULD have a good elements and principles
of design test. I would like to have one adaptable for
grades 7 thru Art 1. I hated testing my kids.
Honestly, one can live through life without
remembering the elements and principles. I wanted to
have more fun with my kids MAKING art so I gave them a
Pre-test on the elements and principles and they could
use their books (gasp!). My goal was 80% accuracy or
better. Anyone not getting 80% or better on the
Pre-Test had to do the Post Test (a take home exam).
This was mainly for 8th grade.

I used the Gerald Brommer videos and worksheets I
designed for 7th grade (6th grade had group work to
learn the elements and principles). They actually
LIKED the videos (as long as we fast forwarded through
parts- Gerald made those projects VERY fast in my
classroom -- tee-hee). We swayed to the music
sometimes, too (smile). I used the same 8th grade
Pre-test as the test for 7th grade given as a final
exam (I usually let them use their notes - yikes!).
Folks, I was more concerned that my students knew
where they could find the information if needed than
if they memorized it. Students who did not get 80% or
better on the exam had to correct their exams and turn
them back in. Yes, I am afraid it is all my fault that
those kiddles needed to be re-taught when they got to
high school - shame on me (smile).

Here are my sample tests - some so so - some not so
good.

True False Test - or Eeny-Meeny-Miny-Mo (100 points)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/test1.htm

I don't know why it has hubby's initials on it - I
can't get them to go away. I quit giving this one when
my student teacher got a 75% on it.

Objective Test - or Multiple Guess (100 points):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/test.htm

You can play around with the page breaks. My student
teacher did better on this one.

Post Test Take Home Exam (100 points):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/test2.htm
I don't remember the break down of pooints for each
question - I'll figure that out sometime for you.

What I would like to see is some kind of assessment
using works of art where kiddles can click and go
(click thumbnail to see larger image only).

Ruth has the start of an exam that we are tweaking:
http://www1.dcsdk12.org/secondary/mvhs/staff/wilson/artdept/elements.htm

If anyone wants to join in the "project" please email
me or Ruth OFF LIST (Jdecker@woh.rr.com). No need to
post test questions - or suggestions to the list.

If anyone "Tests" my tests please let me know what I
need to do to fix them. I don't have my final
revisions anymore. I know I had made several changes
to them since these files were saved. I will
eventually link these up and our new and improved test
when it is done.

Now....don't think you have to do this tomorrow
(smile).....I am just sending it out now so it is off
my mind. I'll return to Ruth's test Friday.

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Jdecker@woh.rr.com