Re: Casting/molding

---------

From: Dorothy Kane (creativemetals_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 07:00:07 PST

If using plasticine clay, I've had success with 50-50 dish detergent and
water. Have used pewter, never water putty.

Dorothy

on 11/26/03 9:29 AM, sharon@art-rageous.net at sharon@art-rageous.net wrote:

If you use clay to make a form and then make a mold out of plaster, what's a
good release to use on the clay?

Has anyone ever tried casting with water putty before? It's the stuff that
comes in a powdered form and is used as a wood filler. I have a book that
talks about casting/molding using these materials but I've never tried it.

I'm trying to come up with a special project for my students that will take
approximately 2 weeks. I'm thinking of having them make relief sculptures
in clay, making a mold with plaster, and then casting with the water putty.
Apparently it's supposed to be similar to wood when it dries.

Thanks for any help/advice that you can offer! :-)

Sharon
sharon@art-rageous.net
www.art-rageous.net/OnlineStores.html
<http://www.art-rageous.net/OnlineStores.html>