Re: Casting/molding

---------

From: Jon Hartman (Jon.Hartman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 06:57:56 PST

If you are just going to use clay you don't have to use anything to
release it. The plaster will naturally dry the clay and cause it to
release. Sometimes if you try to apply anything you can change small
details.

I have never used water putty before. Sorry

Jonathan Hartman
Dassel-Cokato High School
Art Teacher
(320) 286-4100 ext.1832

>>> sharon@art-rageous.net 11/26/03 08:29AM >>>
If you use clay to make a form and then make a mold out of plaster,
what's a good release to use on the clay?

Has anyone ever tried casting with water putty before? It's the stuff
that comes in a powdered form and is used as a wood filler. I have a
book that talks about casting/molding using these materials but I've
never tried it.

I'm trying to come up with a special project for my students that will
take approximately 2 weeks. I'm thinking of having them make relief
sculptures in clay, making a mold with plaster, and then casting with
the water putty. Apparently it's supposed to be similar to wood when it
dries.

Thanks for any help/advice that you can offer! :-)

Sharon
sharon@art-rageous.net
www.art-rageous.net/OnlineStores.html

---