Re: Art evaluations for students

---------

From: Judy Potter (jd-potter_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 07:19:38 PST

Patti,
The Expressive Arts Project has developed two evaluation measures that
many early childhood (ages 3 to 8) teachers have used successfully.
These instruments were designed to use for children with disabilities
and would be appropriate or at least a starting point for you. They can
be found in the Assessment chapter of the our curriculum called
"ArtExpress: A Curriculum for Young Children with Disabilities." More
information can be found at www.wiu.edu/thecenter/art and the curriculum
can be purchased from Curriculum Publications Clearinghouse (in the
early childhood & elementary education section) at www.wiu.edu/cpc
Hope this helps.

Judy Potter jd-potter@wiu.edu
Expressive Arts Project
Center for Best Practices in Early Childhood
27 Horrabin Hall
Western Illinois University
Macomb, IL 61455

MissCaiola@aol.com wrote:

> I would like to give some feedback to my special education student's
> parents (elementary K - 6: DD, LD, SBH and MH) during our
> parent-teacher conferences. I have several students that are having
> trouble in their core classes but are quite advanced in their
> art/visual skills, some students functioning way below their age group
> in their art/visual skills, students that are right on target, etc.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could find something like
> this? Do any of you use this type of evaluation for your students?
> How about for your special education students that are mainstreamed
> into the art room? If I were to make my own checklist of
> skills/tasks/levels/fine motor skills/etc...does anyone have any ideas
> as to what they would include?
> Patti in Ohio
> MissCaiola@aol.com

---