RE: Homeschooling

---------

From: King, Jean (JKING5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 06:38:13 PST

I don't know where you get the idea that the public school receives funds
for students simply by their residence in the area. I work in Houston,
Texas. Our schools only receive funding based on the actual enrollment at
the school. This is the only basis for our funding. All the children in
Houston could live in the area, but if they are not enrolled and attending
the school, the school receives no funding for them at all.

Believe me, this can create problems. Our enrollment this year is lower
than last, so we have lost funds. This has resulted in the "collapsing" of
a class, meaning that students were reassigned to other classes leading to
the need for waivers for class size and the teacher was moved to another
teaching position. We were luckier than some schools where teaching
positions were eliminated.

Jean