Re: Help!Need advice about glazing-ASAP

---------

From: Jon Hartman (Jon.Hartman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 06:06:38 PST

To answer your question....you can put glaze over all of those pieces
and refire them. You should have no problems at all. You are safe to
fire a piece of pottery up to 4 or 5 times before it will start to
become weak. I take it that you have fired them twice now.....one more
firing will be ok for them. A transparent galze can be put over both.
What you will notice is that the transparent glaze will not adhere to
the glaze sections. It will also take a long time for it to dry. Make
sure not to touch them until they are completly dry. You can take some
of the glaze off by moving them too soon and not letting them dry.

Jonathan Hartman
Dassel-Cokato High School
Art Teacher
(320) 286-4100 ext.1832

>>> ARTNSOUL12@aol.com 11/18/03 06:55PM >>>
Hi, everyone,
I have some questions that I'm hoping can be answered before tomorrow.
By
mistake, I gave my 4th graders underglazes to use with gloss glazes
for their
leaf plates. Some colors are shiny and some dull, so I think that's
what
happened.

With two more classes work yet to be fired, here's my questions:
Before
firing, can a clear transparent glaze be put over both colored glazes-
the gloss
and the dull? Can the plates be re-fired once they have been
glazed-fired? If
so, I would ask those students who wanted to put a transparent clear
glaze
over the dull parts and re-fire. I fire at cone 06 and the kiln
reaches around
1828 degrees, I believe, and completes the glaze firing in about 6 1/2
hrs.
Thanks for any help you can give me...
Susan on Long Island (the painting, not glazing, expert!)

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---