RE: Homeschooling

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 05:29:56 PST

Hi, Michal,

I have no problem with any and all parents paying "activity fees" - as you say,
public school parents have to do it all the time. I was in the band and we had
fund raisers to buy uniforms, music, instruments. My point is, in response to
your "are either to be enrolled even part time so the state will help fund the
school...", is that the home schooled child isn't enrolled and yet the school
district still receives the tax monies for that child so that in a very real
sense their participation is already paid for (other than "activity fees"). Do
you understand? That child's state tax allotment is being used to educate other
children in the public school and NONE of it is being used to educate him or her
unless they are allowed to participate in public school activities.

Of course public school is not free. Neither is home schooling; in fact it
costs us more since we are unable to get bulk discounts. When I buy a textbook
or other source materials, I have to pay full bookstore retail price. Remember
what your textbooks used to cost you in college? That's what I pay for our
children. As a home schooler, I neither want nor expect my children's education
to be "free". But as a tax-paying citizen, I want the same educational support
received by every other public school child - our fair share.

You mention the $4000 your district gets for your son's enrollment. Your
district gets the same $4000 for every home schooled child in its district.
Count up your home schoolers and figure out how much money your district is
getting "for free".

  - the school gained almost $4000 for his enrollment. He is active in football,
wrestling, and track. To help fund these activities the parents have
fundraisers, selling booster club shirts, etc, cake raffles, selling quilts,
chili feeds, etc. Because of this my feelings on home schooled students
participating in extra curricular activites are either to be enrolled even part
time so the state will help fund the school OR the parent should pay additional
fees. Public school is not free by any means. There's my .02 :-)
~Michal

---