RE: Lawrence Parker/Homeschooling

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 05:10:22 PST

Hi, Maggie,

I think that you misunderstand the grammar of my sentence. Of course we all
gain from the tax dollars which go to educate "Our" (Society's) children. My
use of "our" was my wife's and my two children. In choosing to homeschool, we
have to bear all costs of education (courses materials, textbooks, field trips,
whatever - everything that a public school district normally supplies to public
school children through state tax dollars) ourselves, and mind you that no one
reimburses us for our time and efforts as their teachers; that's gratis, and not
to mention curriculum design, administration, etc. The inequity is that the
public school district receives all of the state tax allotments for our two
children, to the tune of about $14,000/yr., for providing services to two
children who are not in their classrooms. How is this different from agencies
which collect monies for clients who have been dead for years yet they keep the
phantom accounts open to collect the money without having to pay it out?

My preference would be to turn at least a percentage of the funding over to the
homeschooling parents to support the education of the home schooled child. I
say a percentage because I've always recognized the point you make about
society's children. A part of our tax money is our contribution to pay for the
education of the community's young, and by the same token a part of society's
tax monies should cover the education of our two children - however we should
decide to accomplish it.

As regards your elderly not wanting to support public education, I'm sorry that
the public education system didn't teach them better. Obviously, they have
forgotten that it was that same public school system which educated them.

Lawrence A. Parker

Philosopher and Educational Consultant

---