Re: 'After the Tornado' (Betty)

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 08:08:32 PST

Image of After the Tornado is "not available online" at Davis Art. The original is at Art Institute of Chicago, but they don't have an image of it online, either. Oh, well.

Betty, I actually have done compare/contrast with Copley's Watson and Homer's Gulf Stream a couple of times. Did you post that idea? If so, then it was probably your idea that I'm using. Thanks! In fact, I read an actual researched story on Watson and the Shark, and knew that there was an actual story behind Homer's Gulf Stream, illustrated in After the Tornado (but I couldn't remember the painting's name and now I can't find an image of it.

Anyway, I like the analogy of the African Americans after the civil war. I certainly haven't gotten such an astute response from my 3rd graders.

Thanks so much, Mark

Betty Bowen <bbowen@cushingms.k12.ok.us> wrote:
Mark, I usually use Gulf Stream with Copley's Watson and the Shark. They like comparing them.

I once had a very insightful student - after I'd shown them Homer's Civil War illustrations before Gulf Stream - suggest the Gulf Stream was about the state of African Americans after the war - just having passed through a storm he was left with no power, no way to change his direction, surrounded by white (people/sharks) waiting for him to fail, but still he looks unafraid and determined. I was amazed.

Please post when you find AFter the Tornado, I'd really like to find it also. Betty