Re: Image search for 'After the Tornado' Winslow Homer

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 06:56:37 PST

Mark, I usually use Gulf Stream with Copley's Watson and the Shark. They like comparing them.

I once had a very insightful student - after I'd shown them Homer's Civil War illustrations before Gulf Stream - suggest the Gulf Stream was about the state of African Americans after the war - just having passed through a storm he was left with no power, no way to change his direction, surrounded by white (people/sharks) waiting for him to fail, but still he looks unafraid and determined. I was amazed.

Please post when you find AFter the Tornado, I'd really like to find it also. Betty

---