Jewelry ideas for elementary

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 15:07:59 PST

Dear Barb,
    How about the shrink plastic. You sand it, draw and color it with
markers, colored pencil, stamping and a variety of other medium. Then
shrink it in a oven or using a embossing heat gun. Awhile back we were
talking about this on the listserve. I think no. 6 plastic has the same
make up of the commercial shrink plastic, but I have not experimented.

    Thin coated wire, such as telephone cable wire, can be used to make
wire beads, by wrapping around a popsicle stick or round dowel. You can
then string them by themselves or with pony beads.

    Paint or collage on to small pieces of scrap mat board and glue a
pin back on the back. Glue small 3-d things on mat board and cover with
foil to get a cool metal look. Small weavings or soft sculpture make
nice pins.

    Use pony beads to make animals or flags. Give older kids graph
paper to design their own.

    Use yarn or needle point thread to make macramé necklaces or
bracelets or those friendship bracelets. Those chinese knot look cool too.

    Make beads or pins with bake clay.

Hope this helps.
Ellen Silverman
k-8 NJ