Totem poles - See David Boxley

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 08:56:00 PST

(Thanks for this artist, RB)

Dear Art Educators,

When I get my machine back, I will add David Boxley to
the Incredible Artists page:
http://www.davidboxley.com/default.asp
- an internationally recognized Northwest Coast Native
artist and culture bearer.

His bentwood boxes would be great motivatin for my
Lino-cut ceramic box lesson, too. In this lesson,
students create a 6" reduction printing plate - make a
three color print - and use the plate to impress the
sides of a 6" ceramic box. Many made a lid too for the
box using the plate. Some students added sculpture
elements for the lid. Once the box is leather hard -
more carving is done on the box to bring out the
relief. I have done this with 8th graders - but it is
also good for high school. I have sent it to many high
school teachers. Lesson hasn't been updated (not
checked for boo-boos)- but here is the link:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/8nwprint.htm
If anyone who has done this lesson has a student image
- please send it my way. I lost my student photos on
this project - all I have is my unglazed box.
Rather than glazing my box - I finished off five demo
panels different ways to show kids things they could
try. Someday, I'll do my box now with paint. My
preference for mine was glazing in different colors -
using the colors I did on my test panel.

I used the artist Dempsey Bob - and video Smart One.
http://www.dempseybob.com/home.shtml

I will add both links to Incredible Artists.

PLEASE post other Native Artists you admire...Do so
all through Novemeber. I want to learn as much as I
can this month (smile). I will do the web search then
to see if there is a web site...Just so you know
already - there is not a site for Jaune
Quick-to-See-Smith (but some fine work is online).

Remember to be Thankful this month! I guess today is
Thankful Marvelous Monday (smile).

Judith Decker

P.S. Folks, don't you think we could all be on first
name basis on this list? Please try to sign your post
with your first name. That protects your privacy - no
buggyman can find you if all you give is first name.
I've been signing all of mine even with Judy Decker
Ohio and no harm has come to me. You are safe to give
us your first name on this list - I promise.

--- RB7Surf7@aol.com wrote:
> search ''David Boxley'' under yahoo
> boxley is a reknowned totem pole artist,
> he has a book called totem pole by Lynn Goldsmith
> RB

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department