Homeschool survey

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 08:29:57 PST

Althought I know there are great homeschool situations "out there", my impression is pretty poor. In my region it is almost exclusively the realm of radical right-wing conservatives who live in fear of any culture beyond their own, or by parents who are too disfunctional to get their kids to school, and since they don't have to meet ANY requirements, they can just say they are homeschooling and not bother.

In the town where I lived previously, one set of parents told me they homeschool because the local schools had "too many" black students. Another family told me they homeschool because they didn't want their daughter coming home with "no boy wearing no earrings"

A third set of homeschooling parents in that town both worked full time, the kid rollerbladed around town all day, and his workbooks were left scattered around his mom's office floor. I worked in a museum in that town, and we deeply dreaded the homeschool "clubs" that came through for tours. Their behavior was incredibly poor, no structure, no boundaries.

I spent some time looking through homeschool textbooks at a large popular area supplier, Mardel's, directed to very conservative right-wing Chistian homeschoolers. At one point they explain that African Art should make us sad because it is made by people who live in fear and darkness of their misguided religion. I almost bought it just because it was so shocking.

My own students who have been taken out for homeschooling have been exclusively behavior problems and/or because of middle school pregnancies, not because of anything we do not offer. Their parents do have have college educations, and I suspect most of them are not being schooled at all.

I know there are great homeschooling situations out there, but I haven't seen it here. My sister in Ohio has considered temporarily homeschooling her kids because they like to go to museums and historical sites, and it is frustrating to go during school breaks when those sites are packed with people.

Betty

---